Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

School History

School's History

Under the guidance of Mayor Charlton Hunt, Lexington's first public school was started. William "Lord" Morton, a wealthy merchant, left one-tenth of his estate for the establishment and support of a school to be named in his honor. William Morton Junior High, originally on the corner of Short and Walnut streets, opened in March 1834. A new facility was built on the same site in 1849 and was named Morton High School in 1905. A new high school was erected in 1909 on Main Street where the former First Security Bank stood. In 1938, the present building was constructed on Tates Creek Road; in 2002 the school was totally renovated.